Saturday, August 20, 2011

Steel Tube Cantilever

I spent the summer at a furniture study program in Copenhagen, Denmark.  The course began with field trips to different showrooms and workshops throughout Denmark, Sweden and Finland, and culminated with a chair that was designed in a week and built in 14 days.
Captions coming soon!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Garden stools

a shot of mold flipped upside down

 the lid

score the hell out of it and assemble the two pieces

rough form


i cut the groove on the potters wheel to make a channel to fit a wooden expanse that would connect the two stools, providing seating for two additional people

Friday, May 6, 2011

male/female bent ply press mold

female section, 4 parts + angle braces

there is a .5" offset between the male and female sections

first bend with 3 pieces of 1/8" poplar bending ply, results were promising.  for this go i just did the seat and back, didn't do the arms because i felt that this kind of bending ply couldn't handle the curvature 

here's the male section, 5 parts, getting ready vacuum bag and carbon fiber layup

vimeo process vids

I'm in the process of getting my videos up on vimeo, heres the link to my page -

Chair 3 - CNC Routing MDF Mold from Carlo Lorenzetti on Vimeo.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

a great way to make giant clay vessels quickly

This project started my sophomore year when I did an internship with visting artist William Dennisuk.  William came to U of M from Finland with a background in public art, and plans to build up  to five large steel wire frame sculptures that would be installed in bodies of water around Ann Arbor.  Proposed locations were at different spots along the Huron river, and in the reflecting pond up at the engineering school on North Campus.  Three pieces were eventually installed.  Below is my presentation board for that project that was presented to the staff of the Nicholas Arboretum.  The proposal was for a series of seating pods that would go alongside the river in proximity to William's sculpture.  A initial failure in the material choice for the project ensured that the project failed to come to fruition and was never installed in the Arb.  However, that choice also left me with a sweet fucking mold that I have learned is IDEAL for making large scale coil vesals.